Internal Article - Do not send to customers
The FARO® Licensing Portal is provided for FARO employees to generate and manage their own product keys for FARO software without the need to contact customer support. Generated product keys have a life span of 6 months, after 6 months you will need to renew your key for each software application you are using.
Do not use the FARO Licensing Portal to generate product keys for any individuals outside of FARO.
In the event of network outage, or if you are experiencing technical issues, please contact: Customer Service and Technical Support Hotline for FARO Employees*INT
Current assigned product keys/licenses will continue to function until the next major version release of that software. You may continue to use your current product key during this time, however once it expires or a new major version is released for your software, FARO Customer Service will no longer provide updates for it. You will need to claim a new product key via the Licensing Portal as outlined in this article.
You do not have to wait for your current product key to expire, you may claim a new replacement key from the Licensing Portal at any time for a seamless transition.
Accessing the FARO Licensing Portal
- Log into to your OKTA account at: https://faro.okta.com
- On the home screen, locate and click the FARO Licensing Portal chiclet/button.
If the FARO Licensing Portal chiclet/button is not present, submit a FARO IT Service Desk ticket requesting it be added to your account.
- The FARO Licensing Portal homepage will be displayed.
Generate/Claim a Product Key
- On the Portal homepage, click the Product Management panel.
- Find your software on the list and click the Claim Product Key link.
- After a few seconds your new Product Key will appear. Double left-click the Product Key to select it, then right-click and choose Copy (or use Ctrl+C on your keyboard).
- Launch the FARO software application. When prompted, right-click in the Product Key field and choose Paste (or use Ctrl+V on your keyboard).
Note: This activation method requires an active internet connection, if your computer is not connected to the internet see the Offline Activation section.
- Click the Submit button. The License Manager will now validate your product key and activate your software. All generated product keys have a life span of 6 months, after 6 months you will need to renew your key for each software application you are using.
- Optional: Once a Key has been activated, you may return to the Licensing Portal to view/verify the expiration/activation date and the HASP Key for each license.
Additional License Information
The License Information screen lists additional information about your Product Key/License. Most of this information is not needed for normal use, but may be useful to verify information, troubleshooting, or advanced installations.
- On the Portal homepage, click the License Information panel.
- On the next screen provide either your Product Key or HASP Key (not both). These keys can be accessed via the Product Management screen.
- Click the GET INFORMATION button.
- Depending on the type of key provided (Product/HASP) and the specific software application, the information displayed will vary.
- Product Key Info:
- HASP Key Info:
Normally activation is done automatically by the License Manager of the respective software you are using, this activation procedure requires an active internet connection.
If you need to activate your software on a computer that does not have an internet connection, you may use the Licensing Portal (using another computer with internet access) to activate the key, create a V2C license file, and then transfer that file to the offline computer (via a USB thumb drive or similar media).
On the offline computer:
- Open the software you wish to activate. In this example we will be using FARO Zone 3D (other software will be similar).
- When prompted for a product key, click the Collect license information link.
- In the next window, browse to the location where you want to save the C2V file, name the file with the software name you are updating so you can easily identify it, (e.g. "FAROZone.c2v") and then click Save.
- Copy this file to a USB thumb drive or similar media that will allow you to transfer it to the online computer.
On the online computer:
- Insert the USB thumb drive or similar media that contains the C2V file created in the previous section.
- Log into the FARO Licensing Portal, see the Accessing the FARO Licensing Portal section.
- Generate your Product Key as shown in the Generating a Product Key section (Steps 1 - 3).
- On the Portal homepage, click the Activate Product Key panel.
- Click Browse and navigate to the location of the C2V, select it and click Open.
- Paste the Product Key into the Insert Product Key field, and then click ACTIVATE.
- The next screen will verify the activation was successful, click the Download v2c file button to download the activated license file. It will be in the format of "activation_########_######.v2c"
- Copy this file to a USB thumb drive or similar media that will allow you to transfer it back to the offline computer.
On the offline computer:
- Insert the USB thumb drive or similar media that contains the V2C file created in the previous section.
- Return to the License manager screen and click Update from file.
- Browse to the location where you saved the V2C file and click Open.
- The updated product/license key information will now be applied and you may begin using your FARO software.
- Customer Service and Technical Support Hotline for FARO Employees*INT
- FARO Global Technical Support and Hours of Availability
- Download SafeNet Sentinel HASP License Driver and FARO Remote Update System (RUS)
faro staff, staff, keys, software license, internal license